Since 1997, the Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA) has delivered public safety services on behalf of the government of Ontario. With headquarters in west Toronto, the TSSA is a self-funded, not-for-profit organization that employs approximately 400 staff across Ontario. The roles within the TSSA are as diverse as the Province we serve. It takes all kinds of people with varied skillsets and backgrounds to meet our organizational goals, but our employees share a few key traits:
TSSA provides our employees with competitive compensation, excellent benefits, and — most importantly — a sense of purpose. Our work is vital to the success and safety of the Province, and it’s our people who make it possible.We are currently looking for Inspector Trainee, Elevating Devices. This role will support downtown Toronto.Job SummaryThe successful applicant will participate in our in-house training program prior and will be required to pass QEI examination prior to the assignment of a district.As an Inspector, you will provide consultative and safety management services to our industry customers and the public through on-site initial and periodic inspection of elevating devices to ensure compliance to codes, standards, safety bulletins, and the TSS Act and Regulations. Depending on assigned territory, you may be required to inspect amusement devices. Job Responsibilities
- We are passionate about public safety.
- We are highly skilled, problem-solvers.
- We are collaborators who are invested in the communities we work in.
- We are more than employees; we are serving the greater good.
- We are committed to life-long learning and development.
- We operate with the highest integrity.
- Conduct inspections (initial, periodic, follow-up, etc..) of elevating, amusement and ski lift devices to ensure that the design, fabrication, installation, repairs and alterations are in compliance with the TSSA Act, regulations, codes and standards;
- Resolve/reduce non-compliance to the TSSA Act, regulations and codes by carrying out investigations, assisting in the preparation of prosecution cases and providing expert witness testimony;
- Conduct on-site reviews of incidents, equipment failures and respond to public inquiries relating to potentially unsafe operating conditions; and,
Job Requirements & Related Experience
- Work closely with colleagues to enhance team performance and identify customer service delivery improvements.
- Provides feedback and constructive input regarding investigations in a professional manner;
- Writes reports, directions and general correspondence simply, clearly and logically;
- Documents and analyses patterns of non-compliance identified through inspections;
- Identifies and develops solutions for recurring inspection issues that conflict with TSSA’s standards, i.e., structural, maintenance;
- Manages individual targets to meet program area budget
Critical Values & Attributes
- Certified Engineering Technician;
- Knowledge and application of Occupational Health and Safety Act;
- Demonstrated experience in mechanical, electrical or engineering backgrounds
- Intermediate computer skills (MS Word, Excel, email).
- Self starter, establishes own schedules, plans and priorities and delivers on time; and,
- A valid driver’s license is required, as this position requires daily travel.
- Elevating Device Mechanic certificate holder or equivalent;
- Current Qualified Elevator Inspector (QEI);
- Practical field experience in the elevating industry.
Location Details Downtown Toronto
- Occupational Health and Safety focus