Since 1997, the Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA) has delivered public safety services on behalf of the government of Ontario. With headquarters in west Toronto, the TSSA is a self-funded, not-for-profit organization that employs approximately 400 staff across Ontario. The roles within the TSSA are as diverse as the Province we serve. It takes all kinds of people with varied skillsets and backgrounds to meet our organizational goals, but our employees share a few key traits:
- We are passionate about public safety.
- We are highly skilled, problem-solvers.
- We are collaborators who are invested in the communities we work in.
- We are more than employees; we are serving the greater good.
- We are committed to life-long learning and development.
- We operate with the highest integrity.
TSSA provides our employees with competitive compensation, excellent benefits, and — most importantly — a sense of purpose. Our work is vital to the success and safety of the Province, and it’s our people who make it possible.
We are currently seeking a Communications Advisor, Media Relations & New Media
to round out our Communications & Stakeholder Relations team.
This is a full time, permanent role reporting to the Manager, Communications & Advocacy. JOB PURPOSE
The Communications Advisor, Media Relations & New Media will lead the execution of strong proactive and reactive media relations as well as social media to increase reach of TSSA among key audiences and ensure the brand is well represented with the public. To be successful in this role you are/have:
- A strategic thinker who can clearly communicate complex issues in a simplified manner to a variety of audiences
- Comfortable partnering closely with senior executives and business leaders to build and execute strategic communications that meaningfully supports TSSA
- Ability to deliver high-level, professional work quickly
- Ability to lead several projects simultaneously
- Able to organize/prioritize workload
RESPONSIBILITIES Social Media
- Possess strong attention to detail and deadlines
- Exercise tact, discretion, and excellent judgement
- Coordinates media relations, crisis communications and strategic communications activities.
- Partners with/leads TSSA’s response to the media regarding issues of high-importance or significant public interest
- Responds to media requests by determining the appropriateness of media request for information; formulates the content, and overall approach.
- Writes, edits and otherwise develops copy for news releases, feature stories and online content. Coordinates efforts to disseminate information. Determines appropriate media and distribution techniques.
EXPERIENCE & KEY COMPETENCIES
CRITICAL VALUES AND ATTRIBUTES
- Degree or diploma in communications
- 5 + years of hands on media relations
- Demonstrated experience in social media and proactive and reactive media relations
- 1- 2 experience in communications advocacy, policy or a research capacity would be an asset
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Superior customer service skills (including seeking new and innovative ways to solve customer
- Understanding and experience with media, customer and stakeholder communication strategies
- Relationship management and partnership building skills with internal and external contacts
- Strong leadership
- Strategic Leadership
- Analytical Thinking/Data Integrity
- Business Innovation
- Financial Management
- Selecting & Developing Talent
- Adaptability/Change Management
- Customer Focus
- Ethics & Compliance
- Employee Health & Safety
345 Carlingview Drive, Toronto, Ontario (near Toronto Pearson airport, TTC accessible)
External Applicant Updated Closing Date: October 31, 2019.