Since 1997, the Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA) has delivered public safety services on behalf of the government of Ontario. Putting public safety first is not just our mandate it's our passion. Our people leave work every day knowing they've made a contribution to their community.
The TSSA is seeking a Communications Manager to join our Communications & Stakeholder Relations team. This is a full-time opportunity.
In this role you will report to the Vice President, Communications & Stakeholder Relations the successful candidate will be responsible for providing strategic leadership, operational oversight and management of the following key functions:
- in consultation with the VP, Communications and Stakeholder Relations, the Manager, Communications supports strategy development and implementation related to internal and external communications including measurements
- is the chief liaison with media for proactive and reactive situations; ensure the TSSA brand is protected
- works with other departments to help them achieve their goals through sound communication. assure quality and appropriateness of all communications and safety advocacy initiatives and related materials, including media releases, safety brochures, annual report, business plan and consumer’s state of safety report
- in consultation with the VP, Communications and Stakeholder Relations, develops and executes a plan to strategically increase awareness of key public safety issues in the interest of enhancing public safety through the establishment of strategic partnerships, safety advocacy strategies, and proactive media coverage and social media proactively manage emerging issues that pose organizational reputation risks
- develop and/or review the organization’s crisis communications and incident response strategy, including media training of key leaders and annual table-top exercise, to ensure a high state of preparedness.
- acts as a spokesperson for the company
- cultivate relationships with the media to effectively manage both reactive and proactive media relations
- respond to requests for information from the media and government
- champion the organization’s vision and priorities and provide team leadership and direction, including conducting performance appraisals, preparing staff development plans, and coaching staff.
- oversee the use of digital platforms to promote TSSA messaging including content calendars.
- achieves financial objectives by forecasting financial requirements, preparing annual budgets, analyzing variances, initiating corrective actions, and ensuring financial performance in accordance with budget parameters.
- procure and manage external vendors as required
Critical Values & Attributes
- demonstrated knowledge of provincial government structure, governance and communication protocols
- experience operating in a complex regulatory environment
- exceptional media relations, including demonstrated experience as a corporate spokesperson
- excellent web and social media skills
- excellent written, verbal and digital communication skills
- in-depth knowledge of crisis communication including designing effective response plans and experience in managing diverse issues in an effective manner to mitigate reputational risks to the organization
- ability to translate complex and technical information into factual and understandable messages to key audiences
- knowledge of advocacy best practices, strategies and tactics
- quick-thinking and extremely flexible with the ability to function under stress
- ability to work effectively with executive team members
- proven ability to lead teams with varying skills sets and needs
Experience and Educational Requirements:
- university degree in communication, journalism or equivalent or related field
- minimum 7 years of progressive experience in a communications role
- specific experience in the public or broader public sector or a regulatory environment will be an advantage
- specific experience in one of TSSA’s regulated sectors will be an advantage
- video production experience/skills will be an advantage
- Customer Service
- Health and Safety focus
345 Carlingview Drive, Toronto, ON (Dixon Rd & Carlingview Dr.; TTC accessible).
At TSSA, we value the diversity in our workplace and we are committed to employment equity. We encourage all qualified persons to apply. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are committed to creating and sustaining a collegial work environment in which all individuals are treated with dignity and respect. We provide any required accommodations for our applicants and employees. No matter which area you work in, you will collaborate with experts across diverse fields, backgrounds and cultures, expanding your knowledge and helping you realize your full potential.External Applicant Updated Closing Date: November 15, 2019