Since 1997, the Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA) has delivered public safety services on behalf of the government of Ontario. With headquarters in west Toronto, the TSSA is a self-funded, not-for-profit organization that employs approximately 400 staff across Ontario. The roles within the TSSA are as diverse as the Province we serve. It takes all kinds of people with varied skillsets and backgrounds to meet our organizational goals, but our employees share a few key traits:
TSSA provides our employees with competitive compensation, excellent benefits, and — most importantly — a sense of purpose. Our work is vital to the success and safety of the Province, and it’s our people who make it possible.We are currently looking for an Inspector Trainee, Elevating Devices. Job SummaryThe successful applicant will participate in our in-house training program prior and will be required to pass QEI examination prior to the assignment of a district.As an Inspector, you will provide consultative and safety management services to our industry customers and the public through on-site initial and periodic inspection of elevating devices to ensure compliance to codes, standards, safety bulletins, and the TSS Act and Regulations. Job Responsibilities
- We are passionate about public safety.
- We are highly skilled, problem-solvers.
- We are collaborators who are invested in the communities we work in.
- We are more than employees; we are serving the greater good.
- We are committed to life-long learning and development.
- We operate with the highest integrity.
- Conduct inspections (initial, periodic, follow-up, etc..) of elevating, amusement and ski lift devices to ensure that the design, fabrication, installation, repairs and alterations are in compliance with the TSSA Act, regulations, codes and standards;
- Resolve/reduce non-compliance to the TSSA Act, regulations and codes by carrying out investigations, assisting in the preparation of prosecution cases and providing expert witness testimony;
- Conduct on-site reviews of incidents, equipment failures and respond to public inquiries relating to potentially unsafe operating conditions; and,
Job Requirements & Related Experience
- Work closely with colleagues to enhance team performance and identify customer service delivery improvements.
- Provides feedback and constructive input regarding investigations in a professional manner;
- Writes reports, directions and general correspondence simply, clearly and logically;
- Documents and analyses patterns of non-compliance identified through inspections;
- Identifies and develops solutions for recurring inspection issues that conflict with TSSA’s standards, i.e., structural, maintenance;
- Manages individual targets to meet program area budget
Critical Values & Attributes
- Successful completion of a mechanical, electrical, engineering, or millwright program certification
- Demonstrated experience in mechanical, electrical, millwright, or engineering backgrounds
- Knowledge and application of Occupational Health and Safety Act
- knowledge of the Technical Standards & Safety Act and related elevating devices
- Intermediate computer skills (MS Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Self-starter, establishes own schedules, plans and priorities and delivers on time
- A valid Ontario driver’s license is required, as this position requires daily travel.
- Elevating Device Mechanic certificate holder or equivalent would be an asset
- Current Qualified Elevator Inspector (QEI) would be an asset
- Practical field experience in the elevating industry.
- Occupational Health and Safety focus
Assigned geographic location will be determined upon successful completion of 12-months training however candidate must be flexible as final district assignment may be downtown TorontoAt TSSA, we value the diversity in our workplace and we are committed to employment equity. We encourage all qualified persons to apply. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are committed to creating and sustaining a collegial work environment in which all individuals are treated with dignity and respect. We provide any required accommodations for our applicants and employees. No matter which area you work in, you will collaborate with experts across diverse fields, backgrounds and cultures, expanding your knowledge and helping you realize your full potential.Please be advised that your security of your data cannot be guaranteed while it is being transmitted to TSSA.
Posting Deadline October 31, 2019