Since 1997, the Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA) has delivered public safety services on behalf of the government of Ontario. With headquarters in west Toronto, the TSSA is a self-funded, not-for-profit organization that employs approximately 400 staff across Ontario. The roles within the TSSA are as diverse as the Province we serve. It takes all kinds of people with varied skillsets and backgrounds to meet our organizational goals, but our employees share a few key traits:• We are passionate about public safety.• We are highly skilled, problem-solvers.• We are collaborators who are invested in the communities we work in.• We are more than employees; we are serving the greater good.• We are committed to life-long learning and development.• We operate with the highest integrity.TSSA provides our employees with competitive compensation, excellent benefits, and — most importantly — a sense of purpose. Our work is vital to the success and safety of the Province, and it’s our people who make it possible.
We are seeking an Electrical Engineer to join our Elevating and Amusement Devices engineering team. In this role you will enhance public safety by interpreting and enforcing the codes, regulations and standards relating to the design & implementation of electric control and operating systems used on elevating and amusement devices.Job Responsibilities:Working within the engineering team you will:
Education and Experience
- Perform conformity assessments of client submitted controller designs to gage compliance to current codes and standards
- Enforce changes to ensure required levels of safety are achieved
- Register compliant designs
- Lead and/or participate in the development of regulations, codes and standards;
- Investigate public safety incidences; and
- Proactively educate the public and industry on existing and emerging safety priorities.
- Provide technical support to field staff and respond to customer inquiries
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Applied Science or its equivalent as defined by PEO;
- Professional Engineers Ontario registration;
- Minimum of 5-7 years of engineering experience related to design, application, installation, commissioning or approval of control equipment for elevating devices, amusement devices and ski devices,
- Experience to exposure to electric, electronic and programmable electronic systems (E/E/PES) or IEC 61508, safety PLC’s, redundant or backed up control system design or SIL rated systems or sub-systems;
- Experience interpreting, applying and /or establishing compliance to regulations, codes and standards specific to elevating and amusement devices; (A17.1/B44, B355, B311, Z185, Z256, Z98, Z267
- Familiarity working with the application of hazard analysis and mitigation, risk assessment and performance based codes; and,
- Knowledge or familiarity with OBC, NBCC, CEC (or OESC), NFPA-70
345 Carlingview Drive (Carlingview Drive & Dixon Rd., plenty of free parking and TTC accessible)External Applicant Closing Date: November 15, 2019At TSSA, we value the diversity in our workplace and we are committed to employment equity. We encourage all qualified persons to apply. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are committed to creating and sustaining a collegial work environment in which all individuals are treated with dignity and respect. We provide any required accommodations for our applicants and employees. No matter which area you work in, you will collaborate with experts across diverse fields, backgrounds and cultures, expanding your knowledge and helping you realize your full potential.