Since 1997, the Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA) has delivered public safety services on behalf of the government of Ontario. Putting public safety first is not just our mandate it's our passion. Our people leave work every day knowing they've made a contribution to their community.
The TSSA is seeking a Data Analyst Advisor to join our Public Safety and Risk Management team.
The Data Analyst Advisor Promotes public safety by tracking, analyzing and reporting on public safety regulatory activities/practices. They support the design and delivery of safety performance information and reports it to stakeholders. They are responsible for designing, implementing, analyzing and measuring public safety decision support systems. A major driver of TSSA’s shift to a modern, outcome-based regulator, is its ability to use data to identify, assess and manage risk. The focus of this role is to support the design, delivery and quality control practices related to TSSA’s evidence-based decision-making framework.
- Supports TSSA’s ability to analyze data in order to accurately identify patterns and trends to predict potential harms or risk to people in Ontario;
- Identifies public safety and quality assurance gaps; analyzes and makes recommendations regarding the ongoing refinement and development of performance standards and practices;
- delivers value-added services by assisting with the design and delivery of safety performance information and reports to various stakeholders (e.g., Ministry of Government Services, Board of Directors, Advisory Councils, senior management);
- identifies potential new internal and external data sources to ensure TSSA’s models are valid and reliable;
- provides advice to the analytics team on ways to improve and strengthen its reporting and data visualization for the purpose of decision-making;
- promotes a data-driven culture by working with business units to identify and act on opportunities for greater data integrity;
- informs TSSA’s tracking and reporting of key performance indicators;
- provides high-end, accurate and thorough reporting and analysis for TSSA public safety decision makers;
- contributes to the corporate high-performance team by designing, implementing, analyzing and measuring public safety decision support systems (e.g., business processes, QA systems, tools, models); and,
- identifies process gaps; analyzes inspection and engineering activities and recommends improvements in process improvement, optimization, and safety issue management support.
CRITICAL VALUES AND ATTRIBUTES
- Requires university degree, preferably in mathematics or statistical analysis.
- 3-4 years of relevant experience, particularly with data analytics, reporting;
- Experience with risk analysis an asset; and,
- Previous knowledge or experience working within a regulatory context an asset.
- Effective analytical and troubleshooting skills;
- advanced skills of statistical modeling and techniques related to the collection of data its organization, validation, and analysis including documentation;
- communication: strong verbal and written (technical paper development and presentations) skills;
- ability to learn and use new and innovative data analytics and visualization tools such as Power BI / Tableau etc.;
- intermediate MS Office, advanced MS Excel, proficiency in VBA;
- SQL, R, Python knowledge and experience an asset;
- customer service: action-oriented to anticipate and understand needs, develop innovative options and deliver results;
- fast-learner with a high capacity for adaptability in a dynamic work environment;
- strong relationship-building skills; and,
- business acumen: policy, process and systems development; quality assurance principles.
Location Details 345 Carlingview Drive (Carlingview Dr. & Dixon Rd., plenty of free parking and TTC accessible)
- Customer and employee relationship management
- Problem Solving
- Attention to detail
- Organization skills
- Health and Safety focused
External Applicant Closing Date: November 15, 2019
At TSSA, we value the diversity in our workplace and we are committed to employment equity. We encourage all qualified persons to apply. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.